The Waihi Community Forum (the Forum) was formed after the announcement of the proposed Golden Link Project including the Correnso underground mine in the east of Waihi.
The Forum is made up of two representatives from OceanGold Waihi, two from Hauraki District Council and five representatives from the community.
Now that consents have been lodged with Hauraki District Council by OceanaGold Waihi for Project Martha, and given the Forum’s relevant experience with current mining and community representation in Waihi East, it will represent the wider Waihi area, with new community representation from the Project Martha areas.
Through roles given to the Forum in the Correnso resource consent, and goodwill programmes initiated by OceanaGold Waihi, our purpose is to contribute towards a thriving and sustainable community for those residents in what is now the Correnso Extended Project Area (CEPA) and ratepayers living close to mining operations.
Current Forum duties include:
- appointing and managing the Independent Review Panel(IRP);
- administering the Property Purchase Fund and arbitration through the IRP;
- consultingwith the community on property purchase criteria;
- developing initiativesthrough the Streets Ahead scheme; and
- reporting on and receiving comments fromthe community on issues relating to OceanaGold Waihi's operations.